I am excited to bring you our second Subscriber Spotlight! The goal of these spotlights is to foster this little Haven community we have, share life and the stories we are living, and maybe even learn something new along the way.
So, here she is. Our second Subscriber Spotlight. She lives in that never-a-dull-moment place with the familiar phrase “What happens in _______, stays in ________.”
Everyone meet Lindsey. Doesn’t she look like tons of fun?!
- What part of the country do you live in?
- My husband, Will, and I currently live in Las Vegas, as of this past November. We are originally from the Atlanta area, but my husband’s job in the military has taken us on quite a fun adventure around the country so far.
- What is something you love about your city?
- I LOVE that living in Vegas is absolutely nothing like I imagined it would be. As it turns out, there are really beautiful suburbs and SO MUCH to do off the strip. We are 15 minutes from the strip, but we are also only 30 minutes from red rock canyon and in the other direction, the Hoover Dam. We’re also just a few hours from Zion National Park or the California coast. There’s so much to do here, regardless of what you’re into, which was unexpected.
- What line of work are you in?
- I am a physical therapist, but over the past couple of years have become passionate about social justice, ethical fashion, and purchasing handmade (from people like you!). I am an ambassador for Noonday Collection, which uses fashion and design to create economic opportunity through dignified jobs in vulnerable communities. We’re currently in over 13 countries.
- I love advocating for our artisans with the gorgeous accessories they’ve created by hand and spreading awareness about how we can each change the world once purchase at a time. Noonday also supports and fundraises for families going through the international and domestic adoption process, which has become so important to Will and me over the past couple of years.
- What is something people are often surprised to find out about you?
- Growing up, I was a total tomboy. 100%. I have 2 brothers and was always on the soccer field, in the pool, or running for miles. I can still be found in running attire more frequently than not, but my style has definitely evolved over the years…hence the passion for all things handmade and lovely.
- In the spirit of spring cleaning, what is your favorite and least favorite chore?
- My LEAST favorite chore is laundry, hands down. It is not unheard of for me to buy new underwear before I wash what I have. Oh well. My husband tells me I have other strengths. But my FAVORITE chore is probably weeding our yard. Weird, I know, but I just love being outside, and we have some beautiful yellow rose bushes that have just started blooming like crazy.
- What do you do to de-stress?
- My current anti-stress habit is to sink into a bubble bath at the end of a long work day with an acoustic spotify playlist in the background and a good book. I’m have a reading problem…I usually am working my way through a couple at the same time. Right now I’m reading Make It Happen by Laura Casey and In Defense of the Fatherless by Sara Brinton and Amanda Bennett. SO GOOD. Both of them.
- How long have you been a Haven subscriber? And, why do you subscribe?
- Since June 2014. I wanted to be more intentional about writing to friends and family now that we live so far away from them. I also used to find myself wanting to send a card for a particular occasion but really dislike having to run out to the store for just the right card…and I am particular, so I’m that girl standing there for an hour reading every last one on the shelf before I find THE ONE. I love that with the Haven subscription, I have a catalog of cards for all occasions now that are unique. I love that I know who designed each card and I really love reading the note Heidi sends each month that explains her inspiration.
- What is the most meaningful letter you’ve ever received?
- Any letter from either of my parents is equally special. I think it’s easier to say how we feel about each other on paper than it is in person, and how great is it that we can keep those letters and never let ourselves forget how much we mean to someone we also love so dearly.
Thanks so much for giving us a glimpse into your world, Lindsey! It makes me want to plan a trip to Vegas soon! I do still need to see the Celine Dion show…