It’s been awhile since our last Subscriber Spotlight. I forgot how much I’ve missed them.
I am excited to bring you our 6th spotlight! The goal of these spotlights is to foster this Haven community we have, share life and the stories we are living, and maybe even learn something from each other along the way.
Everyone, meet Arushini! How sweet does her little family look?
- What part of the country do you live in? Are you originally from the place you live now? If not, tell us where you are from or consider “home”.
- I currently live in Jefferson City, Missouri, but I’m originally from Colombo, SRI LANKA.
- What brought you to The States from Sri Lanka?
- I came to the US after I got married, 8 1/2 years ago! My husband and I had a long distance relationship after meeting while on vacation, in Canada. He lived in New Hampshire and I in Colombo, Sri Lanka, when we met! When I first came to the US we lived in New Hampshire. Then we moved to Connecticut and now Missouri. My husband is a Minister.
- Can you tell us a bit about Sri Lanka? What do you miss about it?
- Sri Lanka is an island south of India!!! It’s a beautiful tropical island with gorgeous beaches and sunshine all year around. I miss the glorious food from Sri Lanka. It’s mainly rice and curry. I love how spicy it is. There’s also the yummy desserts! I also miss my family and friends in Sri Lanka.
- What is something you love about your current city, Jefferson City?
- My family just moved to Missouri last year, so we are still discovering the city ourselves. We like hanging out downtown, near the State Capitol building. It’s quaint. Our favorite place to go to is the St. Louis Zoo, in St. Louis, Missouri, which is 2 hours away.
- What line of work are you in? What does a typical day look like?
- I’m currently a stay-at-home mom. I’m in the process of starting a proofreading business specializing in court transcripts, I’m very excited at the possibilities.
- What is something on your summer to-do list?
- My goal for this summer has been for my kids to learn to swim, so swim lessons for them. Other than that, we like to soak in as much sunshine as we can when it’s not too humid. Family time is also high on the agenda. We got to do a family vacation this summer which has been on my bucket list forever. (More about that later!)
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
- The best piece of advice I’ve been given is “Live one day at a time”. It’s true!!!
- Favorite place you’ve traveled to/visited?
- My favorite city I’ve ever been to is London, UK. I know it can be crowded and smelly but I love everything there is to do in London. You can use the Underground (Subway) to explore the city. There are churches and museums, parks and market places, let’s not forget the palaces! I love the old buildings and all the history that surrounds London. Early this summer, I got to do something I’ve wanted to do since I was a teenager, which was go on an Alaskan cruise. It was beautiful and relaxing. Most importantly, I got to do it with my family.
- Name 3 things you couldn’t live without. Why?
- This question made me smile, I can’t live without long hot showers!!! This is my time to think and re-energize. I love nice shower gel too. It now seems like I can’t live without my cell phone, it keeps me connected with my family. I definitely can’t live without dessert. Something chocolatey preferably!! I think dessert is the most important part of a meal.
- What makes you proud to be a woman?
- I feel proud to be a woman when I see my kids. I’m both proud & privileged because I get to be mom to them. They drive me crazy sometimes but they also make me feel like a million bucks when they snuggle & cuddle with me or when they climb or sit on my lap to have a story read to them. The time that I have with them is precious. When I see them thrive and grow and be happy, I’m so immeasurably proud.
- How long have you been a Haven subscriber, and what has been your favorite thing about being a subscriber?
- I’ve been a Haven subscriber for about a year now. It’s such a fun subscription, something special that I get in the mail every month. I love cards and I enjoy making cards. But I have to admit I love the prints and the positive messages of the Haven cards. They have a feel-good vibe and they bring a smile to people I share them with.
I love these glimpses into our subscriber’s worlds. Thanks so much for sharing with us, Arushini!
I got curious about the country so I dug up some interesting facts about Sri Lanka:
- Est. Population: 20,833,689
- Largest exporter of tea in the world
- Cinnamon originated in Sri Lanka and was discovered by the Egyptians
- Rice and curry is the staple dish in Sri Lanka. It’s often eaten from a banana leaf and it’s traditionally eaten with the hands (without cutlery), as is every other meal. The dish is always called rice and curry, never curry and rice, because rice is seen to be the most important part of the dish and Sri Lankan cuisine. (source)
- Sri Lanka was the first country in the world to have a democratically elected head of state who was a woman. Mrs. Sirimavo Bandaranaike became the first female Prime Minister of the world in 1960 and held three terms.
- 92% of people living in the country are literate which means that they boast the highest literacy rate in the whole of South Asia. (source)
- The shape of Sri Lanka is like a pearl or the drop of tear. This is the reason Sri Lanka is known as Pearl of Indian Ocean.
- Sri Lanka has two medals in Olympics, both silver. One by Duncan White and the other by Susanthika (she finished the race 3rd but was awarded the silver after Marion Jones was disqualified for doping charges).
- The average temperature in Sri Lanka is 81 °F (27.0 °C)
- It is estimated that 20,000 elephants live in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka also has an elephant orphanage - Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage where there is said to be an elephant pageant every year.
Anyone been to Sri Lanka? Have any other interesting facts of your own to add to the list?
If you are a subscriber and would like to contribute, we would love to feature you! Email Heidi at email@example.com